• The questioner has marked this post as solved.

Control TV volume of Sony Bravia XR55A90J

TimTomTumb
Level 1
1 of 4

Hello, 

My configuration :

• UHD Tvbox connected with TV in subject via hdmi.
  • CEC activated on tvbox for both TV power on and off
  • Bravia sync activated on tv and tvbox is enabled. 
  • Remote control of tvbox can turn on and off  TV, but TV audio volume control is not working (and I cannot control also the tvbox volume).

This is annoying since I must still use TV remote, with previous Panasonic plasma TV, 14 years old!, it was working ok.

I remember the pre OS 6.0 cec pairing procedure was asking  TV brand and made some checks, now I do not find what else  I can try, all seems too automated...

How can I manage TV volume from tvbox?

Is there some incompatibility?

Disappointed (not to speak of the supposed "quality" of this Sony oled Master Tv, both in audio and video.  Rather miserable for watching TV. But this is another story 😃)

Thanx for a hint.

Max

ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
TimTomTumb
Level 1
4 of 4

Hello Black Mamba and Doremi,

thanks to both for the replies, you were near the issue but not there.  😃

Now I understand what happened. 

I changed TV from Panasonic to Sony, so the right thing to do would have been to reprogram the swisscom remote to work with Sony. 

Not knowing that volume and mute commands from swisscom remote  are issued over IR, at least in my case, I assumed that all would have worked over HDMI via CEC.

Seems not the case.

Volume wasn't working because IR emitter and receiver were not in line of sight.

My TV is flush to the piece of furniture where it lays, so IR receiver is not visible from the remote when used by a lazy guy laying  on the couch😃

Since both swisscom and remote are Bluetooth I did not thought of IR.

Redoing the remote to TV programming from swisscom TV fixed it.

Just raising the remote made it work!

Dumb issue, but solved. 

Now I just have to a way to make the TV sound not like a phone call of 70 years ago.

But that's another issue😃

Have a nice sleep. 

3 Comments 3
Black Mamba
Super User
2 of 4

@TimTomTumb 

remove the batteries from the Swisscom remote
put the batteries back in the remote and reconnect/synchronize it to the TV-Box

Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
Doremi
Super User
3 of 4

@TimTomTumb 

Hello TimTomTumb 

In the HDMI CEC section, do you have the "Volume control enabled' checkbox?"

Doremi

Doremi-Yes, Jon Anderson, Chick Corea, Dave Grusin and Don Grusin, Enigma, Era, Karl Jenkins, Lindsey Stirling, Anne Dudley, Vanessa Mae, The Art Of Noise, Véronique Sanson, Bob James,Sarah Brightman, London Symphony Orchestra
Doremi-Yes, Jon Anderson, Chick Corea, Dave Grusin and Don Grusin, Enigma, Era, Karl Jenkins, Lindsey Stirling, Anne Dudley, Vanessa Mae, The Art Of Noise, Véronique Sanson, Bob James,Sarah Brightman, London Symphony Orchestra
TimTomTumb
Level 1
4 of 4

Hello Black Mamba and Doremi,

thanks to both for the replies, you were near the issue but not there.  😃

Now I understand what happened. 

I changed TV from Panasonic to Sony, so the right thing to do would have been to reprogram the swisscom remote to work with Sony. 

Not knowing that volume and mute commands from swisscom remote  are issued over IR, at least in my case, I assumed that all would have worked over HDMI via CEC.

Seems not the case.

Volume wasn't working because IR emitter and receiver were not in line of sight.

My TV is flush to the piece of furniture where it lays, so IR receiver is not visible from the remote when used by a lazy guy laying  on the couch😃

Since both swisscom and remote are Bluetooth I did not thought of IR.

Redoing the remote to TV programming from swisscom TV fixed it.

Just raising the remote made it work!

Dumb issue, but solved. 

Now I just have to a way to make the TV sound not like a phone call of 70 years ago.

But that's another issue😃

Have a nice sleep.