• The questioner has marked this post as solved.

TV Box turning off automatically

Norton350
Level 1
1 of 7

Despite having defined that the TV box does not automatically power down, it does every time I leave it for some hours.

My girlfriend has had Bluewin TV and never has this happen.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Edited
ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
Norton350
Level 1
7 of 7

Actually, I found an additional "tab" in the energy settings (which was somehow not clear to me, UI could be improved somehow..) and I could now configure correctly and it's working. Arguably, user (me! 😉 ) error here, but I think the UI could be improved there a little.

6 Comments 6
Gaeilgeoir
Super User
2 of 7

@Norton350 Please check out the following link  and check if reasons mentioned therein fit also to the behaviour you observed:

Why the TV-Box from Swisscom switches off automati... | Swisscom Community

Agus fágaimid siúd mar atá sé.
Norton350
Level 1
3 of 7

Hi, thanks for replying. No - it doesn't fit that behaviour..

I have defined in that in standby mode it should not turn off automatically, i.e. it should remain in Standby. (‘TV-Box’ tab and NOT select ‘Save energy’.)

The additional thing about the Swisscom box 21 going into deep sleep mode should also not apply, because I have set that it doesn't turn off in the energy settings (and, it's annoying that this box doesn't have an on/off button, I've had to scrabble around the back of the device to remove the power cord at least 4 times now in 2 weeks to force it to restart when stuck somehow..). My girlfriend's box is much easier, just put the hand around the back and turn off  etc. We both can do with our eyes closed now..

So, basically, it is turning off completely, and is doing a new start each time I come home.

Gaeilgeoir
Super User
4 of 7

@Norton350 Hmm, strange, I'm not sure if this will help. but (if you not did already) could please reset the box with paperclip in the small hole on the back of the box. 

Norton350
Level 1
5 of 7

Yes, I can try that - will do it tonight and see whether it's stayed in standby overnight. Not sure what difference doing that reset might have as it seems to load the OS each time and I disconnected power at least 4 times in the last weeks. I think it's a bug, not recognising the energy saving setting, but can't imagine that this would have not been noticed earlier (or others complaining..).

Norton350
Level 1
6 of 7

So, I did the factory reset thing and it makes no difference, it does not stay in standby despite it being configured to do that.

Norton350
Level 1
7 of 7

Actually, I found an additional "tab" in the energy settings (which was somehow not clear to me, UI could be improved somehow..) and I could now configure correctly and it's working. Arguably, user (me! 😉 ) error here, but I think the UI could be improved there a little.